Friday, April 10, 2009

If I Only had a Brain

The diorama I made for Mike

One of my best friends, Mike, a guy who I have know forever, who has been a wonderful source of support, love, and humor throughout this whole AVM ordeal, has the best heart of anyone I know. He is the kind of person who will give you the shirt off his back. Hell, he'll even give the shirt off his back to the guy who stole his only other shirt. If I had to choose someone for my team in a rumble, or to hold on to my life savings, it would be him. A few weeks ago, Mike, a healthy guy in his early 30s, woke up in agony, aware only that something catastrophic was happening. His roommate called 911, and they got him to the hospital in record time. Like me, Mike was unaware that he had been born with a teeny physical defect hidden deep below the surface. That night, his heart basically exploded. This is something that people rarely survive, but one pacemaker and a few valves later he is miraculously still in this world. I have always thought to myself that my brain was a little better that those belonging to other people, and I still think that Mike's heart is unrivaled. We make quite a pair, the two of us. Next Halloween, we are going as the Scarecrow and the Tin Man. Why do these random defects strike with such irony? Thank you god for letting us keep Mike. Thank you Mike, for everything.

5 comments:

DelorumRex said...

I am glad to hear you kept your Mike!

Singing "If I only had a brain..."
D

Choni B said...

Thanks! I am also glad!

Slipsofthetongue said...

I have also made an AVM assemblange/diorama of sorts, using all of the ephemera of the surgery and recovery, but I'm finding myself very drawn to yours! I, too, enjoyed the Wizard of Oz parallel to my AVM situation. I wish other people had had a similar sense of humor. Everyone walked around on eggshells rather than talk about it. Sigh.

P.S. I have finally started writing about my AVM experience through my blog. It has been an exhausting but rewarding experience.

Peter said...

Surely this isn't your last post! I've enjoyed every irreverent word and hope your lack of further posts is nothing more than blogging fatigue. Good luck.

Shani said...

Hello I just stumbled upon your page..finally someone with an awesome sense of humor. I also have an AVM on my left frontal lobe. Originally it was 5cm but now after two almost three years (and no type of treatment) it is now 3.1cm. I don't know how, but I'm betting it's a miracle. I too am often told on a regular basis I can be hit by car/bus or whatever else is on the road and has wheels. I guess people see comfort in automobile accidents :)
Wish you the best girl!