Sunday, May 11, 2008

Excuses Excuses

I really suck at asserting the arteriovenous malformation defense when it would be most useful, when it really should have been considered. I didn't do it when I decided to return to school full time a week after having gamma knife--no rest? Emotional trauma? No problem (or so I thought...) But I must admit, I have thrown it out it completely trivial circumstances at times when my patience was wearing thin. It's really like dropping a nuclear bomb in a water balloon fight, and it gives me a small and sick sense of satisfaction. Example: I didn't pay credit card bill. I love how the people from collections call, acting personally offended, insincerely asking if there was any "special reason you didn't pay." Yes. I don't have any money. Is that 'special'? I doubt it. So I just say I forgot, and will pay it right away. But yet they keep calling. Finally they tell me, "I know that everyone is busy with work and everything else they have going on, but you need to pay on time."

So I just drop it.

"Well no actually, I'm not busy with work. I can't work. I actually just had brain surgery, and am trying to recover, and frankly, I am not one hundred percent yet. So, no. "

Embarrassed stammering. Fewer phone calls.

No comments: