Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Migranes and Hula-Hoops

Last night I had my first real headache since having gamma knife for my arteriovenous malformation. In the past I have had random pains, weird sensations, and passing discomfort, but nothing like this. I called the pharmacy and asked them if I had any refills, they replied, "of what?" They seemed taken aback when I said, "Whatever, anything really." No dice.

My head felt like it was splitting open, but I still drove 20 miles to take a baby bird to a wildlife refuge, and went to two separate stores looking for hula-hoops for one of my kids, wondering all the while if I was going to drop dead in the process. By time I got home (after three temper tantrums--the baby's, not mine), I am bitched out by my older child about the sub-par hula-hoop. She followed me around the house, hula-hooping and moaning, making faces and stomping her feet to demonstrate what a terrible hula-hoop her mother had imposed on her. I was curled up, holding my head in my hands, and I tried my best to think of a way to constructively ask her to stop, but that came out was: "Will you please fuck off?"

I am thinking about writing a book about my AVM experience, but if that doesn't work out, maybe I'll give Lynne Spears a run for her money and write one on parenting instead. I will call it: "Profane Parenting: Nurturing Through Expletives for the Vascularly Challenged"

Who else has used this technique?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes these nasty headaches can make you want to shout out some unsavory words! lol

Anonymous said...

You did well to just scream out some profanities, when I was at the same stage of recovery firstly I would throw whatever was at hand. One time it happened to be a cup of coffee, I spent the next week decoration the living room. After that if I got frustrated I would go for massive walks, one time I managed 28 miles, trouble was it was all in one direction and I had to phone home for Alison to come and rescue me. The next walk I thought be smart and walk around the local park. It was a freezing November evening, I started to feel deja-vu and just knew I was gonna have a seizure. I hid in the trees, only to wake up at 3.30am, in a pitch black locked park. I had to walk 7 miles along the river to escape. So nowdays I just head for my padded cell, much safer.
xx Liam.xx

Anonymous said...

I say them too then feel bad after, your not alone! xxx Jo

Helen Skor said...

There are plenty of parents without AVM who do far worse to their kids - I think you're all going to be just fine! But I'd still love to read your book.