Friday, May 9, 2008

What, No 3 Month Post-Op MRI?

After having gamma knife radio surgery at the Mayo Clinic, I vaguely remember calling out from the gurney as I was being wheeled into the recovery area, "What do I do now?"

My surgeon replied, "Come back in a year for an MRI."

A year?

I just found out I had something wrong with my brain, which I have not yet even fully processed about which I know virtually nothing. I just had brain surgery. BRAIN SURGERY. And you want to see me--in a year? If it wasn't for the blissfully heavy handed anesthesiologist's generosity with the fentanyl, I would have protested. Instead I remember just muttering, "If I were brain damaged, would I already know?" before passing out. It wouldn't have made any difference, the surgeon was clearly nonplussed when I turned out to be the only patient on the slate to have gamma that day that screamed "F*CK!!!!!!!" when the halo was screwed into my skull. I don't have any idea how those other people took that in stride.

Now I am just waiting. Waiting and wishing I could have another shot of fentanyl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for shouting f**k as the halo was screwed onto your head. I had the most uncompassionate nurse, she screwed the halo into my skull whilst muttering "I will wipe that smile off your face". I just kept saying cough, cough, cough. She was not amused and I kept smiling.
Best wishes,
Liam.